Sunday, February 28, 2016

Psalms of Prayer


“Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:
And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”  Ps. 139
O how precious the Living Word of God is to our soul! In His Word we find solace, we find encouragement, we find help. It is often said in Christian circles, that the answer to all of life’s problems are found in the Word of God.  The problem is: we must read and meditate upon His Word to locate those answers. Today we explore the Prayers that have been prayed in the Psalms. Most of these Prayers are from the heart of David, a man after God’s own heart the Scripture reveals. There are probably several things that caused David to be a man after God’s own heart, but for sure he was a man of Prayer. An individual who knew the weakness of his flesh and constantly cried out to God to keep him from corruption of the day and the wickedness of humanity. He had his moments of failure but he Prayer was, God to make me. “Make me to understand Thy precepts:” – “Make me to go in the path of Thy Commandments; for therein do I delight. Incline my heart unto Thy Testimonies, and to covetousness. Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity; and quicken Thou me in Thy way!” And a most important supplication unto the Lord, “Stablish Thy Word unto Thy servant, who is devoted to Thy fear.”  Perhaps there is a famine of the ‘fear of God’ in our world today. When the Evangelical vote is for an individual who has very little concept of God – we know this by what comes out of their mouth. Where is the ‘fear of God’ in our society today? Consider 2 Sam. 23:3 “The God of Israel said, the Rock of Israel spake to me, He that ruleth over men must be just, ruling in the fear of God.”  There was a righteous fear of God in David that cause him to know when ever he stepped out of line with the God of his Salvation.  Today we have the Holy Ghost that lives within us and if we let Him, He will convict us and keep us in the path that God has prepared for us. Thoughts to meditate upon. Loving you, Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment