Monday, August 4, 2014

The Friend of God


What does it take to be the Friend of God?
As I mused over the past Messages on Jehovah, our God I remembered that Scripture talks about being a Friend of God. As I went to the Scripture my mind was on; “What does it take to be a “Friend” of God?  There is much to be said about “friends” in the Bible.  It talks about good friends and it mentions friends of betrayal.  The Kingdom of Saul had fallen because His friendship with God had become void and there was no sound communication. His relationship with God had turned to disobedience.  Scripture reveals it was at this point that God chose David... The prophet Samuel brought the Message to Saul.  It is found in 1 Samuel 13:14 as the Prophet under the guidance of God speaks to Saul ─ “But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the Lord hath sought Him a man after his own heart, and the Lord hath commanded Him to be captain over His people, because thou hast not kept that which the Lord commanded thee. And in Acts 13:22 we read:And when He had removed Saul, God raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also He gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after Mine Own heart, which shall fulfill all My will.” Is not the First Commandment of God, “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, thy soul, thy might, thy mind, thy strength and thy neighbor as thyself …?  [Deut 6:5 -Matt 22:37-Mark 12:30- Luke 10:27] This is the pattern for the Friend of God. Those of our forefathers who obeyed the Lord were His Friend. It takes communication to develop a friendship. If we desire a friend we must be a friend! Consider Moses, Abraham, and Jesus spoke of Lazarus as a friend. The Wisdom Literature of Scripture declares: A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a Friend that sticketh closer than a brother.”  Prov. 18:24 Jesus! The Friend that sticks close – Hear His Words: John 15:15-16  “… I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of My Father I have made known unto you. Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.  Loving you Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment